Charges Against 15-Year-Old Kelvin Martinez Dropped In The Fatal Stabbing Of 14-Year-Old Notti Osama
Criminal charges have been dropped in this summer’s fatal st**ng of a Yonkers 14-year-old on a Harlem subway platform.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office this month ended its manslaught*r case against Kelvin Martinez, a 15-year-old who stilled Ethan Reyes on July 9 at the 137th Street-City College train station.
A spokeswoman for the office said Thursday that prosecutors were not confident they could disprove beyond a reasonable doubt that Martinez was defending himself when he used his knife against Reyes. The decision was based on factors that included witness interviews and video surveillance, she said.
View this post on Instagram
Police had initially said they were charging Martinez with second-degree needer but prosecutors only filed a charge of first-degree man*hter. As early
as Martinez’ arraignment that week the prosecutor expressed reservations about the case and said investigators were looking into the teenager’s claims of self-defense and that he had been assaulted by associates of Reyes in the weeks leading up to the Strewing.
Court records in the case are sealed as a result of the dismissal and it was unclear who represented Martinez.
A call to the Legal Aid Society in Manhattan was not returned. Nobody was home at Reyes’ home in Yonkers Friday morning and his family could not immediately be reached.